Thursday 13 January 2011

My Last Guitar

I've just come back from another guitar purchase. Gomen Nasai

While I didn't make any New Year's Resolution that I was going to stop this, I REALLY have to self-regulate my decisions because it is getting out of hand, and I'm not that good a guitar player to have as many as I do.

On my way there, I was tallying up how many I actually have now. So, let's see - a Fender Strat and Tele, Gibson Les Paul standard and custom, Ibanez mirror Jem, a Steinberger Spirit, Greco Mirage, Casio PG-380 midi guitar, Musicman Stingray Bass and a Maton semi-acoustic.

So now with my new Jem20th, that makes eleven!

In keeping with my post title, I'm going to pledge that this is the very last one ever. While every guitar has it's sound and purpose, I can see myself possibly selling the Strat and the Casio. These are both great guitars, just surplus to what I need. Heck, I'm even thinking of selling my lightsaber!

What makes this one special?

This Jem is an acrylic 2007 20th Anniversary model. Only 500 were made worldwide. In Japan only 15 were allocated. Australia had 10. The US had 200 of them. In Japan they sold quickly retailing for 630,000 yen. Back here I saw this guitar for 580,000 yen two years ago. Of course I didn't pay that. *secret squirrel* Having said that though, it's the most expensive guitar I've ever bought, but I think I got quite the deal. Back home you're looking at AU $10,000.

The instrument is much more striking in person. Photos just do not do it justice. The sound surprisingly, is quite full and powerful. I think it's one of the best Jems I've played. Only downside is that it's really heavy. I haven't weighed just the guitar, but most agree it's about 12lbs (5.4kg). On a guitar strap it wasn't so bad.

The shop guy nicely gave me a cardboard box (and strap), so it won't be the chore shipping it back to Australia. It was quite hard work carting the 15.1kg box from Shimokitazawa to Yotsuya. I really wished I'd brought a shipping trolley with me. Anyhow, lucky the trains weren't too full coming back.

Just to show you what it looks like I did a purikura print club version of the guitar that you can see at the start of the post.

The LEDs in the body make it light up like a Christmas tree, so it looks like a late Christmas present for me.

So, that's it. My very last guitar purchase ends with a memorable one, right?

0 comments: