Friday 11 March 2011

Earthquake!


I guess this is one way to get me to write a new post.

I was just minding my business at about 2:50pm waiting for my train to leave, and there was this shaking like they were trying to lift the train up, and it got all rickety and started shaking more and more.

This was definitely the biggest quake that I felt since I've been here. Later I found out it was an 8.9 quake, bigger than the famous 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake!

We were told to leave first the train, and then the station. The announcements were in Japanese so I didn't know what was going on. For some reason I was thinking that I was going to be late for work.

I tried calling my workplace and the line was dead. People were lining up to use payphones. Cars everywhere were in gridlock, and people were walking around everywhere like it is when there is a festival on. So many people!

I found some wifi and let my family know I was ok. I even Skyped so I could show them what was going on around me. I waited and waited, and just decided to walk home. Lucky I have good bearings (and gps) to get back. Thankfully I wasn't TOO far from home, as they even decided to shut down every train line for the night.

From then, up to the time I write this there have been a lot of aftershocks, but nothing more than what is a usual rumble in day to day Tokyo.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Never one to miss a video opportunity I filmed the event as it happened. Yes, my heart was in my stomach.

What would you do in a situation like this?

0 comments: