Tuesday 3 April 2007

The "Bu"

I have a bit of a story to tell. It may be best if I work on this backwards.. 


 I caught what I thought was the last train back home from Shibuya, but it looked like it stopped a few stops short of Yokohama. This was a problem. It was only 1am and about four hours before the first train would start in the morning. 

 An elderly man pulled up in his car asking where I was needing to go. It was not a marked taxi and he didn't have a cap on. I told him I had no money but he talked Japanese, so I had no idea what he said. I didn't see any meter, so I figured it was one of the kind Japanese people.... I was wrong. 

 After a while he put on his "official" cap and took it off every now and then. The ride took almost half an hour. Once we got to my home station, he wrote on a piece of paper 6900 yen (about AUS $70). Of course this freaked me out a bit, so I offered him "all" the money in my wallet, which was around AUS $10 and got out of his car. I say all because I DID have another 10000 yen emergency money hidden in my wallet, but I felt I was taken advantage of and the money I had should cover his petrol money. 

 I feel a bit like a fugitive. There aren't too many foreigners in this part of town, so I hope he doesn't report me to the police. I even gave him my name when I thanked him. I REALLY wish I hadn't. 

 Joel and I had some drinks at Shibuya before that. Johnny and Barnaby joined us for dinner at the Udon restaurant. I had chicken udon which although was steaming hot was quite tasty and messy. With chopsticks and slurping, I had a few drops of miso soup on my (thankfully) black shirt. 

 After work we all went to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building in Shinjuku for a high lookout view.It was too overcast to see Mt Fuji but it was a pretty good place to see the wide expanse of concrete that is Tokyo. Best of all, it was free. 

 Training was tiring, but it always has been. I'm a bit slow to get everything, but I hope I get better. I have to stay back next week to do some follow up training for the teaching demo I didn't do so well, which sucks. Never a dull moment though. I need less dull moments in this lifetime.

0 comments: