Friday 7 August 2009

Jimmy In Brisbane

I am now back in Brisbane, and I have to say it was a testing trip to get here with my music gear.

The amp was definitely a major challenge. Not many stations have lifts, and trying to use it on the escalator, it almost tumbled down. We had little choice but to catch the Narita Express train.

As a given, forgetting something when I travel, I left my iPhone behind. Not a biggie but it would've been nice to try it out here.

I was drenched in sweat by the time we got there. To try to avoid getting slammed with oversize baggage charges, we checked in separately. Me, with the amp and carry-on, and her with the guitar and suitcase.

The amp was 26.8kg but they only charged for 6 kilos over and 9,000 yen. The suitcase and guitar I had to pay 12,000 yen. Not bad considering how much it'd cost if I sent them by post. Thankfully both guitar and amp were treated carefully, and look the same as they did in Tokyo.

I'm never going to do the same thing again though. It wasn't easy at all. I won an auction for a step down transformer on eBay, so in a few days I'll be able to give it a go.

I didn't get much sleep on the plane. Luckily we managed to sit together. I drove us all home. Along the way we had a famous Yatala pie. We gave it two thumbs up!

Getting home I slept till 230pm. We went for a drive in my car to the library, Mt Coot-tha lookout and the supermarket. I bought $50 worth of food that's either overpriced or non-existant in Tokyo.

Good to be back.

0 comments: