Wednesday 14 May 2008

What's Mine Is Yours

An English teacher colleague is leaving supposedly for greener pastures in two weeks.

One benefit for me is that he gave me his steel string acoustic for impromptu jams.

I think we are all envious of his new position. Being a great, down to earth person, I think he'll be missed a lot.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any great incentive to stay for a long period of time. This year I expect to pay a higher premium for my health insurance now that my yearly income has been established.

I did get a slight increase in pay, but it doesn't really make a substantial difference to my living arrangements. I believe that in a lot of English schools there'd be a high turnover of staff.

It's a bit of a shame as I genuinely like helping all my students in speaking English well. And, I'm actually enjoying it still.

Let's hope things might change.

With some things that I don't like about here, there's a lot to like about Japan.

Hey, thanks for the guitar!

2 comments:

Giovanni said...

Hmmm...
What are the good and bad things about your job?

Jimmy In Japan said...

Good things:

- Talking to a lot of interesting people! I have had some great conversations, and the students teach me (about Japan) as much as I teach them.

- The hours aren't too long.

- I get paid to just talk and encourage conversation.

- I can stay up late and sleep in the next day. Nice.

- The kids are super cute, and they give me candy.

Bad things:

- The LONG train commutes suck the life out of me.

- A class full of shy and quiet kids make the class difficult to keep a high energy level.

- The pay could always be better. Living in Tokyo is expensive.

Those are the main ones. Other than that it's not too bad a gig.