Monday 14 July 2008

Tokyo's Giving Me Vertigo

Today there was no way I was able to go to work. I have a very bad case of vertigo.

To anyone who doesn't know what that is, it's when you feel continuously dizzy. Even walking makes you feel uneasy. Lying down helps somewhat. I really don't think I would have made it to Tachikawa. The motion of the train would've made me queasy.

I'm not one for calling in sick. I usually have to be on my death bed not to go to work. I did call in late (at least before the subs would call in), because I was hoping I'd feel better before the time I had to get ready.

One other reason I wanted to go to work is because here in Japan I don't get any kind of sick leave pay. In Australia I had seven days paid sick leave and I never used them. Great timing.

Later in the afternoon I paid my first visit to a Japanese doctor. Luckily I had the gf with me to explain my ills.

I just nodded my head and hoped he'd give me the drugs to make me feel better. He thought I might have had a cold too and prescribed some cold medicine with the vertigo tablets.

I'm glad I have health insurance here. Even with it, it cost me 4,170 yen for the consultation and another 490 yen for the drugs. My insurance pays 70%, but this 30% still seems like a fair bit of money to pay.

That's all I can write for now. I need to go back and lie down some more. I hope I feel better tomorrow.

0 comments: