Sunday 14 October 2007

Shinjuku's Labyrinth

Ok, I underestimated how lost one could get in Shinjuku Station.

My father arrived at Narita International Airport at 4pm. By the time he got through customs and baggage, it was close to 5pm. He caught the NEX (that's JR's Narita Express train) to Shinjuku as I asked him to.

With a special deal, he got the train ticket and a Suica electronic rail pass for me.

He called and said he was at track 3 and 4 in the station about 730pm, so I told him to go down to track 16, where I was waiting for him at the West Exit ticket gate.

Now to give him some credit, Shinjuku IS the busiest train in the world and to get lost is to be expected. I myself went down the wrong way when I arrived, and got hopelessly lost as well.

I stared at the waves of commuters going in and out of the station, hoping to catch a glimpse of my father. After two hours and a few calls I wondered if he was in Shinjuku at all.

Finally he managed to tell me at about 930pm, he was waiting at the South Gate of the Odakyu Line. I have no idea how he managed to get to another train company's exit from the JR line!

I hurried over to the closest west exit of the Odakyu Line, and asked the ticket gate officer where the south gate was. It didn't seem that he understood what I was asking at all and confirmed what I knew, that we were indeed at the west gate.

Luckily, a girl overheard my meaningless request for assistance and offered to walk me over there. THANK YOU kind stranger! I have re-confirmed my faith in Japanese kindness once again.

I saw my father looking as drained and tired as I was, waiting for hours at different gates.

Unfortunately by this time, we could make neither the Korean BBQ I had in mind, nor the Metropolitan Government Building observatory view I wanted to take him to.

After the long train ride back to Tomioka, I walked him up "Tomioka Hill" to my apartment. He hates my hill as much as I do.

It's one thing speaking or webcamming your family over the internet, but to see them in person is a whole lot better.

Good to see you Papa. Thanks for Coming!

0 comments: