Saturday 28 July 2007

Sumidagawa Fireworks

I made my way into Tokyo. 


 Tonight, there would be the biggest fireworks show in Tokyo. Gf was initially skeptical about going, but I did my best ten year old impersonation and said, "Can weee?". With that persuasion she couldn't relent to say no. 

 Soon after I arrived we left for Ryoguku, the opposite side of the river to Asakusa. It was decided that this would be the best vantage point to see the fireworks. 

 There were many girls wearing the yukata (a summer style kimono). I don't know what it is but it looks real sexy on these japanese girls. I asked gf if she had one but she said it was back at her mother's house (along with her school uniform). hmm.. 

 While there were crowds there, it was less busy than I had expected. 

 Many people were covering the streets with tarps to sit on. At one point I had to make my way across the sea of tarps. I accidently stepped on one and a japanese man slapped my leg because I put my foot on his dirty tarpaulin. 

 This is the first sign of a japanese man being upset (with me). I must make more of an effort to do it more often. 

 These people were so far away from where the fireworks were. Gf explained that they don't have to strain their necks to look up. Me, I like to have the fireworks exploding overhead just narrowly missing the falling debris on its way down.

   

The fireworks were really good. Sometimes it looked like the sky was getting set on fire, they set off so many at once. If you listen carefully you can hear the oft said phrase when something is truly good, "Sugoi!!" Ahem, yes, that was me.

0 comments: